Nashville Predators 3 vs Detroit Red Wings 2: NSH leads series, 2-1
The Nashville Predators win in a nail biter over the Detroit Red Wings in Game 3. Nashville took advantage if their opportunities Sunday, and that is why they won. Their power play improved a bit by going 1 for 4, but could do better. It now seems that the first to three goals will win the game.
Pekka Rinne had one hell of a game especially in the 3rd period. Rinne kept the Predators in the game by stopping 19 shots in the third period, and 43 shots in the game. About 11 of the Red Wings’ shots in the third period, could have gone in. Rinne gets my first star for playing on his head Sunday.
Kevin Klein had a great game Sunday by scoring and stopping a goal. Klein had the sickest goal I have ever seen a defenseman make. He went around Brad Stuart and while getting hooked, Klein roofed the shot over Jimmy Howard’s glove.
Then, Klein stopped a sure goal by Cory Emmerton. Drew Miller’s shot left a huge rebound for Emmerton. Emmerton shot, but a sliding Kevin Klein got his stick on the puck and was named the hero of the game.
Not Liked in the Motor City
Shea Weber, Barry Trotz and the rest of the team, knew he (Weber) would not be well liked at the Joe Louis Arena. Every time Shea Weber touched the puck, he was booed by the Red Wings’ fans. I feel like he built on the boos and it energized him.
The first goal of the game went to the Nashville Predators and was scored by, guess who, Shea Weber. Weber picked up the rebound that Jimmy Howard left in front, after Andrei Kostitsyn’s shot was robbed. Shea came down from the point and slapped the puck into the back of the net.
New Look Preds
Barry Trotz and the coaching staff changed up the lineup Sunday afternoon. Ryan Ellis and Jordin Tootoo was in the lineup for the first time this series. Trotz most likely put Ellis in to boost the awful power play for the Nashville Predators. Tootoo was in to up the physical play and bring more energy to the team while on the road.
With Ryan Ellis and Jordin Tootoo going in the lineup, a couple players had to come out. Jack Hillen, who has played okay defensively, came out. Hillen probably lost his opportunity to stay in after he fell in Game 2, and gave Pavel Datsyuk a breakaway.
Matt Halischuk is out of the lineup for Jordin Tootoo to come in. You have to think that he is scratched because of the injury to the head, suffered in Game 2 by Cory Emmerton. Hopefully Halischuk isn’t scratched for that reason.
|Game 1||4/11||DET||NSH||2-3 NSH|
|Game 2||4/13||DET||NSH||3-2 DET|
|Game 3||4/15||NSH||DET||3-2 NSH|
Line Up Report
|#35 Pekka Rinne||41||43||W||.953||60:00|
|#35 Jimmy Howard||19||22||L||.864||58:34|
Predators Scratches: #75 D Hal Gill (Foot), #33 C Colin Wilson, #15 C Craig Smith, #23 W Brian McGrattan, #37 G Chet Pickard, #38 D Jack Hillen and #24 W Matt Halischuk
Red Wings Scratches: #31 G Joey MacDonald (Back), #43 W Darren Helm (Lacerated Forearm), #41 W Chris Conner, #4 D Jakub Kindl and #39 W Jan Mursak
- 1:35 in, Drew Miller went to the penalty box for goaltender interference. Miller had a breakaway, but lost the puck. He ran into Rinne, but was not pushed by Shea Weber. Power play Nashville.
- 2:46 in, Andrei Kostitsyn’s back hand shot was robbed by Jimmy Howard with his shoulder. That left a rebound for this next play.
- 2:48 in, Shea Weber slapped the rebound home to take the lead, 1-0 on the power play. That was their first PP goal of the series, 1-for-13.
- 7:08 in, Pekka Rinne stopped a quick snap-shot by Jonathon Ericsson, in the slot.
- 8:56 in, Niklas Kronwall went to the box for hooking. Nashville could have had a chance to add an extra man to the attack during the delayed penalty, but they were called for early attacker on the ice. Power play Nashville.
- 9:39 in, great puck movement by the Predators gave Erat a one-time chance that was not executed. Jimmy Howard sprawled out to make the stop with his right pad.
- 10:56 in, the Kronwall penalty was killed off. Great movement on the power play by Nashville though.
- 12:53 in, David Legwand went to the penalty box for tripping. Legwand swung his stick around to Valtteri Filppula’s feet, where he fell.
- 14:35 in, Rinne made spectacular back and forth movement to make sure Hudler’s shot of Suter didn’t go in.
- 14:53 in, Legwand’s penalty was killed off.
- The first period ended with the Predators leading, 1-0. Detroit outshot Nashville, 11-9.
- 1:21 in, Jordin Tootoo went to the box for roughing. Zetterberg held Tootoo’s stick and was trying to get the stick back. Tootoo shoved him from behind and called that, not the holding the stick…
- 3:21 in, Tootoo’s roughing penalty was killed off.
- 3:50 in, Kevin Klein scored top-shelf on the breakaway, after being hooked. The refs called the hook, but Klein’s goal cancelled the penalty. Klein’s speed and hands gave Nashville a 2-0 lead.
- 8:06 in, Johan Franzen went to the penalty box for slashing Mike Fisher’s stick out of his hands.
- 8:55 in, Roman Josi’s shot from the point created all sorts of traffic in front. Howard was on his butt, while Fisher and Hornqvist were whacking at the puck. Howard kept the puck out somehow.
- 9:43 in, Kyle Quincey went to the box for cross-checking Radulov in the back. 5-on-3 for Predators.
- 10:06 in, Franzen’s penalty was killed off. 5-on-4 for Predators.
- 11:43 in, Quincey’s penalty was killed off. Detroit played the PK very well.
- 14:33 in, Johan Franzen went to the box for slashing David Legwand on the bench. While Patric Hornqvist went to the box for David Legwand because he tugged Franzen’s jersey. 4 on 4 hockey.
- 15:03 in, Pavel Datsyuk picked the puck away from Josi and wrapped the puck around with Rinne not knowing, and scored to make the game 2-1 Predators.
- 16:19 in, Datsyuk had a chance to score on the rebound, but missed the net wide.
- 17:00 in, Gabriel Bourque attempted a wrap-around chance, but was stopped by Howard covering his post well.
- 17:46 in, Todd Bertuzzi took down Mike Fisher on the Predators bench and knocked off his helmet. They were both sent to the box for roughing.
- 18:28 in, Johan Franzen’s redirection from Zetterberg was stopped by Pekka Rinne’s stick.
- 19:49 in, Sergei Kostitsyn went to the penalty box for high-sticking just as Fisher and Bertuzzi came out of the box. Power play to the Red Wings.
- 20:00 in, Franzen scored a goal off the rebound, but the clock said 0:00, not 0:01, as the puck was in the blue paint. No goal!
- The second period ended with Nashville leading 2-1. Detroit outshot Nashville through two, 24-18.
- 1:16 in, Zetterberg went one on one entering the zone and Rinne deflected the puck to the corner.
- 1:49 in, Sergei Kostitsyn’s penalty was killed off.
- 4:18 in, Andrei Kostitsyn’s slap-shot from the point was kicked away by Howard.
- 5:11 in, Tomas Holmstrom and Francis Bouillon got into a shoving match before the face-off.
- 5:39 in, Drew Miller’s breakaway shot from the left side was kicked away by Rinne, but left a rebound for Cory Emmerton with an empty net. Emmerton’s shot was blocked by a sliding Kevin Klein, who deflected the puck to the corner.
- 6:31 in, Gustav Nyqvist had a chance in front of Rinne, but Rinne stopped the puck and dove out to keep the rebound.
- 8:54 in, Patric Hornqvist tried to catch Kyle Quincey behind the net, but hit the center post and knocked the net off of the pegs. Hornqvist helicoptered, but was okay.
- 11:58 in, Shea Weber’s shot from the point gave Nashville their first shot of the third period.
- 13:59 in, Kronwall’s shot from the point was blockered away by Rinne.
- 16:30 in, Sergei Kostitsyn, Martin Erat and Mike Fisher went on a 3-on-1. Kostitsyn shot and scored under the right arm of Howard. That made it 3-1 Red Wings.
- 18:05 in, Alexander Radulov passed to David Legwand on the one-timer. Legwand’s shot missed wide.
- 18:14 in, Howard went to the bench for the extra attacker.
- 18:23 in, Legwand went to the penalty box for holding. Mike Babcock called a Time Out to re-group. 6-on-4 hockey.
- 19:08 in, Henrik Zetterberg scored under the left arm of Rinne from the left circle. That made the score, 3-2 Predators.
- 19:27 in, Howard went to the bench for the extra attacker.
- The Predators beat the Red Wings, 3-2. Detroit won in shots, 43-22.
Detroit Red Wings Players to Watch:
|#13 Pavel Datsyuk||1||1||1||22:27|
|#40 Henrik Zetterberg||1||0||-1||23:56|
|#96 Tomas Holmstrom||0||0||0||9:05|
PP Shea Weber – A. Kostitsyn and Radulov at 2:48 in the 1st
Kevin Klein – Erat at 3:50 in the 2nd
Pavel Datsyuk – unassisted at 15:03 in the 2nd
Sergei Kostitysn – Fisher and Klein at 16:30 in the 3rd
PP Henrik Zetterberg – Datsyuk and Kronwall at 19:08 in the 3rd
My Three Stars of the Game
1. Pekka Rinne: 41 Saves in the Win
2. Kevin Klein: Goal, Assist & Great Save
3. Pavel Datsyuk: Goal & Assist