So far into the season of 2013-14, the Nashville Predators have fallen on misfortune. Inconsistencies, injuries, under performances, and lack of overall skill has plagued the Predators, which is the reason they are last in the Central Division with a 16-17-4 record and nine points out of a wildcard spot.
To put it simply, we have been terrible.
With Santa Claus coming to Smashville on Christmas Eve night, I have a last minute wishlist, which probably reflects the thoughts and opinions of many fans.
– A healthy Pekka Rinne: C'mon now Santa, this is a must need. Without our star netminder, the Preds have been inconsistent in net with Carter Hutton and Marek Mazanec. We all thought he was going to be healthy, but then E. Coli started growing in his hip post-surgery. Although you aren't the hockey gods, would you please find it in your heart to have Rinne return quickly and be Rinne-esque in his return?
– Scoring: Nashville is sitting at 27th in the NHL in goals with 85. Obviously, not enough to be a successful team. The moves in the offseason were to promote "Predators hockey", according to David Poile. So Santa, would you mind kicking our team into gear, specifically David Legwand, Craig Smith, Viktor Stalberg and Colin Wilson. Or hey Santa, feel free to make Poile do a crazy deal that would help us acquire a premier scorer. Even better.
– Snipers: This also goes along with scoring, but we need a true goal scorer who can make a team pay if they slip up. Nashville doesn't have that, so would you mind if a team could give up a premier scorer for, say, Rich Clune? That'd be the ultimate Christmas gift Santa.
– End the streakiness: This has been the most streaky Predators team I've seen in a while. Only they could have a major losing streak, win three straight, then go without winning for four straight. That is brutal and will not get the club anywhere near playoff position. Could the team start winning at least a pair of games and then lose for once if they absolutely have to?
– Can we stop relying on the power play?: One major plus the Preds have going for them is their 7th best power play. Unfortunately, that means that most of the scoring is coming from special teams. Nashville has to muster up some 5 on 5 goals as they are ranked 29th. It would be appreciated if you could get the team to start scoring more when they do not have the man advantage.
Santa, please be good to us in the second half of the season and reward us with a playoff birth and, eventually, a Stanley Cup.
Preds fans world-wide.
Merry Christmas everyone!