Nashville Predators 3, Minnesota Wild 2: FINAL
SOG: NSH – 25, MIN – 34
PP: NSH 2/5, MIN 2/4
My Three Stars of the Game
1. NSH – Filip Forsberg: Goal
2. NSH – Pekka Rinne: 32 saves on 34 shots and Win
3. MIN – Josh Harding: 19 saves on 20 shots
1-0 MIN: PP Zach Parise – Koivu and Suter at 4:05 of the 1st
1-1 tie: PP Filip Forsberg – Hornqvist and Jones at 5:07 of the 1st
1-2 NSH: PP Colin Wilson – Cullen and Fisher at 5:46 of the 1st
1-3 NSH: PS Eric Nystrom – unassisted at 11:14 of the 1st
2-3 NSH: PP Jared Spurgeon – Niederreiter and Granlund at 7:26 of the 2nd
Predators scratches: #13 C Nick Spaling and #59 D Roman Josi
Predators starters: Clune, Gaustad, Hendricks, Klein, Ekholm and Rinne
Wild scratches: #39 D Nate Prosser, #45 W Carson McMillan and #55 D Matthew Dumba
Wild starters: Cooke, Brodziak, Mitchell, Ballard, Stoner and Backstrom
1. Jones, Forsberg hit NHL milestones: With the first goal of the game these two rookies were able to hit an important NHL milestone in the season's home opener. Filip Forsberg, who is playing in his first game of the season after recovering from a lower body injury, scored his first NHL goal. Meanwhile, defenseman Seth Jones was able to record his first point with a secondary assist. Jones once again led the team in time on ice with 25:02, just fifty-five seconds less than game-leader Ryan Suter.
Those two are the future of this organization and hopefully they will be linking up for goals for many seasons to come.
2. Backstrom injured: 11:14 into the game, Eric Nystrom was taken down on a breakaway and slid into the net, catching Niklas Backstroms right leg inside the post while the rest of his body was on the side of the net. After an one-ice evaluation by the trainer, he left the game, slowly walking down the run-way to the locker room.
3. Harding battles: Josh Harding had to enter the game cold facing Nystrom on a penalty shot. Of course, Nystrom was able to score. Later in the game, as Harding was setting a pick to side of the net for his teammate after retrieving a puck, Rich Clune clipped his right leg and the backup netminder went down. Harding didn't look the same, having trouble with his skating. In obvious pain, he was able to turn away nineteen shots.
4. Ellis plays his first game: Ryan Ellis dressed for the first time this season due to Roman Josi suffering a concussion Friday night in Colorado. Ellis looked good at times on the third pair with Victor Bartley, totaling 14:36 of time on ice, 2:45 of which was on the power play.
5. Rinne looks sharp: Through three games this season, Pekka Rinne has elevated his play in each. Tuesday night, Rinne looked like himself again — quick and technically sound. Rinne stopped thirty-two shots and happily recorded his first win of the season.