Mike Fisher's two late third period goals lifted the Nashville Predators to their first win in six games. Saturday night, Nashville defeated the Los Angeles Kings 3-2 at Bridgestone Arena.
Fisher's first goal of the game appeared to be the game-winner with 3:18 remaining in regulation on the man advantage. However, Kings' forward Jeff Carter tied the game at two goals a piece with the extra attacker at 19:23 in the third period.
Everyone was prepared for overtime and the hometown crowd was silenced — for a few seconds.
Ten seconds after Carter's goal, Fisher answered back with his second of the night and the game-winner. Colin Wilson threw the puck out in front to Fisher, who deflected it off Ben Scrivens and just over the goal line. The play was reviewed, but "The War Room" allowed the goal stand.
Also scoring for Nashville and Los Angeles, respectively, was Patric Hornqvist off a rebound at 14:42 in the first period and Anze Kopitar from the top of the right circle on the power play at 7:05 in the second. Prior to Hornqvist's goal, the Kings had not allowed an opening period goal in twenty-one of the last twenty-two games.
Marek Mazanec made twenty-six saves in first start since December 7 in a 5-2 loss to the Washington Capitals.
Scrivens made twenty-nine saves.
– At 2:43 into the first period, Kyle Clifford defended his teammate Slava Voynov after getting hit by Matt Hendricks. Below is the fight.
– December 5 against Carolina, Mike Fisher scored his seventh of the season. Eleven games later, Fisher has finally found the back of the net, twice, for his eighth and ninth of 2013-14. In order to win, the Preds need goals from top players like Fisher every night.
– Paul Gaustad had an extremely rough night statistically. The go-to center in the faceoff dot won four of eleven (36%). Also, Gaustad took two minor penalties. One of which was the power play when Anze Kopitar scored.
– We saw a much better start from the Predators Saturday night. Not only did they not get scored on before the first media timeout, they weren't scored onn at all in the first period! That is a major improvement and is why they were able to play their game, not having to worry about mustering up a goal while behind on the scoreboard.
NSH 0-1: Patric Hornqvist – Fisher and Jones at 14:42 in the 1st
LAK 1-1: PP Anze Kopitar – Voynov and Doughty at 7:05 in the 2nd
NSH 1-2: PP Mike Fisher – Hornqvist and Weber at 16:42 in the 3rd
LAK 2-2: Jeff Carter – Kopitar and King at 19:23 in the 3rd
NSH 2-3: Mike Fisher (2) – Wilson and Jones (2) at 19:33 in the 3rd
NSH: Marek Mazanec (W) – 25 saves on 26 shots; played 59:32
LAK: Ben Scrivens (L) – 28 saves on 31 shots; played 59:05
My Three Stars
1. Mike Fisher: 2 Goals, 1 Assist
2. Patric Hornqvist: Goal and Assist
3. Marek Mazanec: 25 saves
Line Up Report
Predators scratches: Clune and Ekholm
Predators starters: Wilson, Fisher, Hornqvist, Jones, Ekholm and Mazanec
Kings scratches: Carcillo, Frattin and Fraser
Kings starters: Brown, Stoll, Williams, Doughty, Mitchell, and Scrivens