The Nashville Predators avoided a repeat of what occurred on Halloween night when they possessed a three goal lead in the first period against the Phoenix Coyotes, but later on blew it, giving the Coyotes a 5-4 shootout win in Glendale.
Nashville opened up the scoring just 1:02 in with a Nick Spaling goal, followed by goals from Mike Fisher and Gabriel Bourque to give the Predators the worst lead in hockey heading into first intermission.
Something was said by either the coaches or captains that ignited the Coyotes to finish this game strong. In the second and third period combined, the 'Yotes outshot the Preds 24-17. Their hard work was rewarded with two goals from Mikael Boedker and Tim Kennedy, a beautiful between the legs backhand that caught the far post.
However this time around, Nashville held on to the lead, although they were being dominated offensively. Mazanec was able to turn away twenty-nine shots Monday night in the win, but none more important than robbing Mike Ribiero twice on the same shift with less than two minutes remaining in regulation.
Nashville's captain Shea Weber capped off the win with a bank shot off the glass and into the empty net from the defensive zone hash marks.
– Phoenix captain Shane Doan left the game early in the second period with a lower body injury, but did not return. With his presence, this recap could have been focused on Nashville choking.
– Mazanec looked sharp and truly displayed his positioning and footwork. Robbing Ribiero multiple times to keep the lead was great to see from the rookie.
– On top of being robbed a couple of times in the dying minutes of the game, Ribiero had a -3 rating.
– Referees put the whistles in away Monday night. Only one minor was called and that was rough boarding call on Rich Clune.
NSH – 1-0: Nick Spaling – Cullen and Smith at 1:02 in the 1st
NSH – 2-0: Mike Fisher – Wilson and Nystrom at 8:22 in the 1st
NSH – 3-0: Gabriel Bourque – Stalberg and Legwand at 18:27 in the 1st
PHX – 3-1: Mikael Boedker – Vermette and Chipchura at 9:34 in the 2nd
PHX – 3-2: Tim Kennedy – Hanzal and Vrbata at 13:00 in the 2nd
NSH – 4-2: EN Shea Weber at 19:25 in the 3rd
NSH: Marek Mazanec (W) – 29 saves on 31 shots; played 60:00
PHX: Mike Smith (L) – 25 saves on 28 shots; played 59:20
My Three Stars
1. Marek Mazanec: Win; 29 of 31 saves
2. Gabriel Bourque: Game-Winning Goal
3. Shea Weber: Goal, 8 hits
Line Up Report
Predators scratches: Forsberg, Hornqvist and Ekholm
Predators starters: Clune, Gaustad, Hendricks, Jones, Klein and Mazanec
Coyotes scratches: Rundblad and Bissonnette
Coyotes starters: Boedker, Vermette, Klinkhammer, Ekman-Larsson, Stone and Smith