It took seven rounds and fourteen shooters in the shootout to decide Thursday night's game between the Nashville Predators and Philadelphia Flyers. Roman Josi's seventh round goal lifted the Predators to a 4-3 victory at Wells Fargo Center.
After a scoreless opening three rounds, the shootout went to sudden death. Brayden Schenn and Matt Cullen traded off goals in the fifth round, while Ryan Ellis kept Nashville in the game following Sean Couturier's goal.
Carter Hutton, who had the best game of the season, made a huge save on Wayne Simmonds, which led to the Josi game-winner. Hutton made twenty-seven saves, including a robbery in the second period on Michael Raffl. (Watch here).
Brayden Schenn opened up the scoring 1:26 into the game. Eric Nystrom and David Legwand (PP) scored two unanswered goals at 10:57 and 16:35, respectively, to give Nashville a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission. Andrej Meszaros, who assisted on Schenn's goal, netted one past Hutton with five seconds remaining left in the second period to tie the game at two. Shea Weber and Wayne Simmonds traded power play goals at 5:10 and 18:36 in the third period, respectively.
– No, Kevin Klein was not healthy scratched by Barry Trotz for this game Klein suffered the flu and was not healthy enough to dress.
– Carter Hutton was spectacular. Unfortunately, he's showing out the day after Poile acquired a new goalie. The competition is getting heated for who will backup Devan Dubnyk Saturday and for the remainder of the season.
– Roman Josi led all players in ice time with 32:10 and had an assist and +1 rating.
0-1 PHI: Brayden Schenn – Simmonds and Meszaros at 1:26 in the 1st
1-1 tie: Eric Nystrom – Bourque and Weber at 10:57 in the 1st
2-1 NSH: PP David Legwand – Fisher and Weber (2) at 16:35 in the 1st
2-2 tie: Andrej Meszaros – Simmonds (2) and Streit at 19:55 in the 2nd
3-2 NSH: PP Shea Weber – Legwand and Josi at 5:10 in the 3rd
3-3 tie: PP Wayne Simmonds – Hartnell and Timonen at 18:36 in the 3rd
NSH: Carter Hutton (W) – 27 saves on 30 shots; played 64:53
PHI: Steve Mason (L) – 34 saves on 37 shots; played 64:41
My Three Stars
1. Shea Weber: Goal and 2 Assists
2. Wayne Simmonds: Goal and 2 Assists
3. Carter Hutton: 27 saves
Line Up Report
Predators scratches: Klein and Mazanec
Predators starters: Spaling, Legwand, Smith, Weber, Josi and Hutton
Flyers scratches: Gustafsson, Rosehill and Gill
Flyers starters: Couturier, Lecavalier, Simmonds, Read, Coburn, Timonen and Mason