The newest edition of 'How to Beat the Goalie' will feature the Los Angeles Kings' goalies for the second time this season since starting these stories. The goalies for the Kings are Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier. These goalies will be analyzed with in-depth stats and videos.
Edition 5: Los Angeles Kings' goalies, Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier
The projected starting goalie is Jonathan Quick. I projected for Jonathan Bernier to receive the start last time the Nashville Predators and the Kings played each other, but Quick ended up getting the start. Nashville won the game 2-1 in regulation and gave Quick the Loss.
Let's go ahead and start with the projected starting goalie, Jonathan Quick (in the picture above). Quick has played well this season, but because of the lack of offense, Los Angeles is 9th in the West and currently out of a play-off position. Quick played well in his 4-2 victory against the Anaheim Ducks and will try to play the same way Tuesday night. Here is how the Nashville Predators will score on him.
- Shoot at bad angles: Quick doesn't align himself right along the posts. Shoot at bad angles, and there will be a hole along the post.
- Make him move: Quick has a tendency to commit to the first move a player makes. Make him bite, and you will most likely score.
- Take Advantage of Chances: With Quick being able to stop a clear shot, the Predators have to take advantage of deflections or weird bounces to put the puck in the net.
Here is Jonathan Quick's 2011-2012 stats:
Here is Jonathan Quick's career stats vs Nashville:
23 year old, Jonathan Bernier should be the back-up goalie again for Tuesday's game. Bernier, who has a lot of potential, has only played in 13 games. I believe he needs to be moved in order to spread his wings and move to another NHL and be a starting goaltender. Bernier, who has a great record against the Predators, would get the start if I was Darryl Sutter. But, I don't think he will.
If Jonathan Bernier was to get the start, here is how the Nashville Predators will beat him.
- His left side: The Predators can score on his left side. Bernier isn't good on the left side because he doesn't have great angles
- Shoot high: For Bernier being 5'11" the Predators need to try to shoot high and blocker side.
- Rebounds: Bernier gives juicy rebounds
Here is Jonathan Bernier's 2011-2012 stats:
Here is Jonathan Bernier's career stats vs Nashville: